Forum

Use of RGB LED strips with Foxonix

More
2 weeks 1 hour ago - 2 weeks 1 hour ago #642 by lornetw
lornetw created the topic: Use of RGB LED strips with Foxonix
Hi. It's me again with more questions about a possible lightsaber project. I was wondering if it would be possible to use/program RGB LED strips like the WS2812 with your Foxonix boards - they're individually addressable, would save me a lot of soldering and I could use any color I wanted. Anybody tried this?

Regards.

Lorne Wilkins
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 hour ago by lornetw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 hour ago #645 by foxonix
foxonix replied the topic: Use of RGB LED strips with Foxonix
Hi Lorne:

I looked into this a bit, and it doesn't look like we'd be able to get the WS2812-based LED strips to work because of the timing requirements for the data signal. Without getting into it too much, I don't think we can get the pulse widths narrow enough because the minimum cycle time of the microcontroller is 4 uSec.

However, it DOES look like an APA102C-based LED strip could be made to work. This would require two output pins from the Project Board: one for LED data and one for the clock. I don't know what the time frame for your project looks like, but we can get some of these LEDs on order and work on a routine for writing to them, probably within the next few weeks. If you want to start working on this on you're own we're here to help you, for sure.

- Will @ Foxonix

Foxonix - make your ideas heard.
@foxonixdev

More
6 days 16 hours ago #646 by lornetw
lornetw replied the topic: Use of RGB LED strips with Foxonix
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I will do some research into the APA102C-based LED strip. As for the time-line - I'm not in any real rush. Even if you took a few weeks or even a month or 2, that would be fine.

If you find any results, let me know. Much appreciated.

Lorne Wilkins

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds